Balkan Jazz Showcase
Balkan Jazz Showcase it’s a Jazz project created by Albanian Jazz Society with the main aim: to grow up the “Jazz Music Market” on Balkan Area .
There are realize successfully two editions of Balkan Jazz Showcase on 2018 & 2019 under the direction of Albanian Jazz Society lead by Gentjan Rushi, Ermal Rodi & Emiljan Dhimo .
Balkan Jazz Showcase is realize in collaboration with Cultural Association “Syri Blu” and with the support of Tirana Municipality, and Balkan Countries Embassies : Bulgaria, Greece, Rumania, Serbia, Turkey Jonuz Emre Institute, North Macedonia, Montenegro, Kosovo,
General Sponsor Raiffeisen Bank
There participated jazz bands from each Balkan Country and managers or jazz promotors from Balkan Countries and from France, Italy, Israel, USA, Netherlands.
There have participate about 100 Balkan jazz musicians ( youth and adults) ; about 14 concerts ; 4 workshops.
Jazz In Albania At 50’S – Robert Radoja
“Jazz” in 50’s (Albania)
- The word “JAZZ” entered in Albania from foreign radios, especially from RAI’s and later from Yugoslav TV. Unknown as a music stream but as a term circulated with great curiosity.
- Little by little some musician began to frame some more intimate element or some free emotional expression, especially talented instrumentalists who have improvisation ability and free technical quality “virtuous”. During these years, soft music began to explode.
- Musician now did not use only tango, beguine, foxtrot, waltz and rumba music elements, they even began to infiltrate some contemporary rhythms like swing, hula – hoop, Charleston, cha – cha – cha, twist and the first signs of rock n roll.
- We had few information from east countries, but had some films sequences which was accompanied by Jazz music which now already was known, films like “Slide ” ( Czech film ), “Sea Cat” ( Romanian movie ), “Spring ice” ( Austrian film ), “Payment of fear” ( French film ) and any others….. Also circulate plastic disks (45 and 78 turnover) that went in Albania so carefully from artist who were on tours overseas.
- At that time radio Tirana has played an important role with the creativity and recordings, of the artist like: the quartet of Agim Prodani, the recording of Llazar Moreka, Quintet of Agim Krajka. Agim Krajka it was a composer and excellent accordionist that in 1962 in the first Festival of Song in the Albanian Radio Television introduced he’s quintet “Rhythmic Complex”.
- I think that this was the beginning of a “spark” which after a few years would return to “fire” with the firs Festival of Soldier and get the top in the 11th Festival of Song in Albanian Radio Television with the “Big – Band” created by the eminent and unforgettable musician Gasper ÇURÇIA. As I think, Jazz music is: expression of maximum individual freedom, instant emotion, sophisticated and virtuous taste of singers and instrumentalists.
Two Words About Jazz In Albania
Ladies and Gentlemen
History of Jazz music in Albania is relatively new on 21 century , with its starts on last century its pioneers such as: Krajka, Curcia, Shllaku ….etc. In its infancy Jazz music in Albania has a painful history, where talented musicians ended quite badly under the guillotine of the communist system. This festival is also homage for those martyrs of music of “Freedom”. This festival expresses a thanksgiving to all Albanian musicians that contribute over the years in the darkness of the communist system and then to democratic freedom after 1990. First professional Jazz music musician arrangements starts around 2000 with deputies of Elina Duni, Eda Zari, Gent Rushi, Fatos Qerimaj, Ilir Kola, Sokol Sejdo, Emilian & Ervin Dhimo brothers, Gjon Shllaku, Markelian Kapedani Rrok Jakaj etc.
JAZZinALBANIA international festival starts with its first edition of Tirana Jazz & World Music Festival on 2012 but on 2016 the festival name was transformed in “JAZZinALBANIA” because the festival now will be widespread in five cities of Albania (Tirana, Shkodra, Korca, Fier ,Elbasan) to enliven artistic life and to support cultural tourism at cultural heritage centers like Apollo in Fier and Ali Pasha castle in Porto Palermo Two social programs support the 2014 festival edition: 1 – Presentation of films & documentary with short feature, main topic “Environmental Protection” program which will be realized thanks to the collaboration with multimedia academy “Marubi” 2 – Volunteer program – young volunteer & assistance that with their valuable contribution will grace the festival, volunteers who will be the future fans of JAZZ music. Special thanks to festival partners: • Accredited Embassies in Albania: Austria, Czech Republic, France, Israel, Italian National Institution of Culture, Yonus Emre Institute and Albanian institutions: the Ministry of Culture, Municipality of Fier, Elbasan, Korca, Shkodra and Tirana. • Media Partner is Report TV
• Sponsors: Raiffeisen Bank, T-mobile Albania I hope that this international cultural mosaic of Jazz music, through the interpretation of world artists and Jazz music except entertainment will broadcast freedom & fantasy of thinking and care & love for the environment. Festival Director Besim Petrela